Persian rugs are beautiful and unique works of art. Here's everything you need to know about these stunning floor coverings.
What Makes a Rug Persian?
Several factors contribute to a rug being classified as Persian, including:
- Handmade. Persian rugs must be made by hand. They are complex and highly detailed, a tradition dating back thousands of years. In fact, according to research by Business Insider, one rug "can often take years and sometimes decades to create."
- Materials. Persian rugs are not made from synthetic materials but rather are created with high-quality silk and wool. While this results in beautiful rugs, it does drive the cost up. In fact, a Persian rug from the 17th century sold for almost 34 million dollars at an auction.
- Geographic area. The strongest qualifier for determining if a rug is Persian is the geographical area in which it was made. The ancient Persian Empire (559 to 331 BCE) covered an area that is located within modern Iran.
What Are the Specific Design Elements of Persian Rugs?
Persian rugs often have many stylized and repeating design elements, including flower motifs, trailing vines, geometric shapes, and medallions. These designs are often symmetrical and can be incredibly detailed. The most common colors used in Persian rugs are green, blue, and red, believed to bring good luck and ward off evil for the owner.
How Do You Care for a Persian Rug?
Because they are handmade with natural materials and extremely valuable, Persian rugs require a bit more care than machine-made, mass-produced rugs. To keep your rug looking its best, you can:
- Vacuum it regularly using the softest brush attachment to avoid damage.
- Spot clean spills immediately using a mild soap and cool water.
- Have your rug professionally cleaned every couple of years by a specialist who has experience cleaning authentic Persian rugs.
- Protect your rug from direct sunlight to prevent fading.
- Rotate your rug every few months so that it will wear evenly over time.
Whether you're looking for a beautiful statement piece for your home or you're shopping as a collector, you can't go wrong with a Persian rug. With their intricate designs, timeless beauty, and vibrant colors, these gorgeous floor coverings are a lovely addition to any home. With just a little bit of knowledge and care, you can enjoy your very own piece of Persian history for many years to come.
Contact a Persian rug retailer to learn more.